Friday, February 15, 2008

Ubiquitous things that mystify me....

1.) The lone shoe by the side of the road. Why is it that every single road in the entire world has at least ONE lone shoe just chillin' off to the side? How does the shoe get there? Are there people with some sort of disorder that compels them to remove one shoe and discard it whilst driving? Is there some sort of road deity to whom everyone should give an offering of one shoe? Are there magical shoemaking elves who bring a solitary shoe to the side of the road in the middle of the night? WTF??

2.) Monkeys are not native to the United States. Neither are elephants. These things can be found in abundance in Thailand. Certain species of spider live only in the desert and giraffes can only be found wild in Africa. Why oh why then can pigeons, rats, and cockroaches be found EVERYWHERE???? From New York City to Tokyo, these creatures thrive wherever there is an urban jungle. They don't seem to be all that particular about the climate or the types of discarded food on which they feast. As long as there's pavement and some trash, sign these puppies up. And, unlike other more delightful species (e.g. horses), I have a hard time believing that these guys were transported by settlers or explorers or those parties interested in colonization or what have you. Were they stowaways on ships? Do they just spontaneously appear whenever there are diseases in need of being carried?? WTF??

Does anyone have the answers to these (not so meaningful) questions? Is all of this just common knowledge and I happened to have missed that day in elementary school?

1 comment:

Eskapefromme said...

OMG... I'm so happy that you moved your blog to blogger.com. This is where mine is too even though it shows as "ginsoaked.org". It makes reading your blog a lot easier.

I can't wait to come and visit and eat creamed rabbits with you, yum!

Also, I'm thinking about maybe buying a place in Cambridge in October. I spent some time there this weekend and loved it! Still weighing the options though.

I hope all is well!
-a